This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Socket Error

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Feb 13, 2008 at 10:36 PM
Edited Feb 13, 2008 at 10:38 PM
Cant seem to figure this out:

Put rss hyperlink and data source into vs05 and added data source to aspx, then added gridview and binded it and gave the item number 5.

Ftpd the bin files to the bin and put up the aspx page.

And got this error: ( tried using different RSS URLS but still the same error)

Server Error in '/' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A socket operation was attempted to an unreachable network
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: A socket operation was attempted to an unreachable network

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

SocketException (0x2743): A socket operation was attempted to an unreachable network
System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoConnect(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress) +1002146
System.Net.Sockets.Socket.InternalConnect(EndPoint remoteEP) +33
System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean connectFailure, Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket& socket, IPAddress& address, ConnectSocketState state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Int32 timeout, Exception& exception) +431

WebException: Unable to connect to the remote server
System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse() +1502011
System.Xml.XmlDownloadManager.GetNonFileStream(Uri uri, ICredentials credentials) +61
System.Xml.XmlDownloadManager.GetStream(Uri uri, ICredentials credentials) +1868368
System.Xml.XmlUrlResolver.GetEntity(Uri absoluteUri, String role, Type ofObjectToReturn) +51
System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.OpenUrlDelegate(Object xmlResolver) +44
System.Threading.CompressedStack.runTryCode(Object userData) +54
System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData) +0
System.Threading.CompressedStack.Run(CompressedStack compressedStack, ContextCallback callback, Object state) +174
System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.OpenUrl() +199
System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read() +50
System.Xml.XmlLoader.Load(XmlDocument doc, XmlReader reader, Boolean preserveWhitespace) +145
System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(XmlReader reader) +96
System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(String filename) +157
RssToolkit.Rss.DownloadManager.DownLoadFeedDom(String url) in DownloadManager.cs:204
RssToolkit.Rss.DownloadManager.GetFeedDom(String url) in DownloadManager.cs:176
RssToolkit.Rss.DownloadManager.GetFeed(String url) in DownloadManager.cs:61
RssToolkit.Rss.RssDocumentBase.Load(Uri url) in RssDocumentBase.cs:120
RssToolkit.Web.WebControls.RssDataSource.get_Rss() in RssDataSource.cs:92
RssToolkit.Web.Design.RssDataSourceView.ExecuteSelect(DataSourceSelectArguments arguments) in RssDataSourceView.cs:64
RssToolkit.Web.Design.RssDataSourceView.Select(DataSourceSelectArguments arguments, DataSourceViewSelectCallback callback) in RssDataSourceView.cs:52
System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataBoundControl.PerformSelect() +149
System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseDataBoundControl.DataBind() +70
System.Web.UI.WebControls.GridView.DataBind() +4
System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseDataBoundControl.EnsureDataBound() +82
System.Web.UI.WebControls.CompositeDataBoundControl.CreateChildControls() +69
System.Web.UI.Control.EnsureChildControls() +87
System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +41
System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +161
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1360

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.210

Any ideas?

Thanks

Brad
Feb 15, 2008 at 7:28 PM
Is there any other code needed? in the web.config?

Does anyone have a how-to that is step for step on this?

All I am trying to do is consume a feed from an RSS and show it on my main page.

Does the hyperlink also need to be added to the page or just the data sorce from the toolbar?

Does the Gridview have to be set up in a certain way?

What needs to go up with the aspx page? anything else? like the bin or the web.config with added code?

What number 1 thru 10 am I thinking of?

If a plane is traveling from berlin to New York at 400mph and another plane is traveling at 300mph from L.A. to New York.... Oh sorry got carried away!
Feb 20, 2008 at 9:55 PM
Does this error sound like a proxy issue?

I have been on the forums at Asp.net and have been told this sounds like the cause.

Now my service provider has said they are not behind a firewall, but no straight yes or no for a proxy.

Does anyone have an example or how-to on using asprsstoolkit with this extra code?
Feb 21, 2008 at 6:28 PM
I had to call my webhost and they gave me a small piece of code which included a proxy IP and port number.

I added this code to the web.config and everything works fine now.

Hope this helps someone with the same error in the future.
Mar 14, 2011 at 3:03 PM

Would "proxy" ip be the same thing as "ISA Server" ip?.  If so, I have the ip.  What is the code you added to web.config?