This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

RSSToolkit Build Provider Not Working?

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Mar 5, 2009 at 6:18 PM
I just downloaded the toolkit and I'm trying to implement it with no luck. 
  1. I created an empty project (VS 2008 ASP.Net VB). I then added a web.config file and added the buildprovider:
     <buildProviders>
    <add extension=".rss" type="RssToolkit.Rss.CodeGeneration.RssBuildProvider,RssToolkit"/>
    <add extension=".rssdl" type="RssToolkit.Rss.CodeGeneration.RssdlBuildProvider,RssToolkit"/>
    </buildProviders>
  2. I then added a reference to  "RSSTookKit.dll" in my bin folder. 
  3. Next, I added my App_Code folder and created a file called "MyFeed.rss". In that file I placed the XML as used in the sample project.
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<rss version="2.0">
     <channel>
<title>Test Channel</title>
<link>~/RssHyperlinkFromCustomClass.aspx</link>
<description>Channel For Scenario5 in ASP.NET RSS Toolkit samples.</description>
<ttl>10</ttl>
         <name></name>
         <user></user>
<pubDate>Tue, 10 Apr 2007 23:01:10 GMT</pubDate>
         <lastBuildDate>Tue, 10 Apr 2007 23:01:10 GMT</lastBuildDate>
         <webMaster>webmaster@email.com</webMaster>
         <item>
             <title></title>
             <description></description>
             <link></link>
         </item>
         <item>
           <title></title>
             <description></description>
             <link></link>
         </item>
     </channel>
</rss>
  1. No class/code files were automatically created by the buildProvider as mentioned in the tutorial at http://aspnetrsstoolkit.codeplex.com/Wiki/View.aspx?title=Consuming%20Feeds%20with%20a%20Build%20Provider&referringTitle=Publishing%20a%20feed%20using%20ASHX%20handler.
  2. I tried building the project. Once again, nothing new was automatically created.
What am I missing here? ANY help would be greatly appreciated!
Apr 9, 2009 at 9:18 PM
Edited Apr 9, 2009 at 9:19 PM
Same problem here, and I'm totally frustrated.

Seems to me that this toolkit is not very popular, there is very limited documents on it, in fact I'm just learning to do the things it do myself, much easier than digging the Internet for a piece of information.

May 10, 2010 at 4:44 PM
Me too. No idea what I'm missing. Have read a few tutorials and there's no mention of the <buildProviders> config key even.... Have included in web.config and dropped the dll in the bin. Nothing in generating.